By law private health insurers aren’t allowed to cover out-patients’ consultations or treatments. Instead this cost will be covered by Medicare, but if you’re not bulk billed, you’ll most likely have to pay something too.

You’re considered an out-patient if you receive treatment at a doctor’s office, clinic, or emergency department (without or before being admitted to hospital). Examples include GP visits, specialist consultations, scans, injections, and minor procedures in clinics.

In these cases Medicare will pay 85% of the Medicare Scheduled Fee for these services, and you pay the remaining 15%.

An exception to this is visits to your GP. Medicare pays 100% of the Medicare Scheduled Fee for GP appointments, and you will only have to pay something if the GP charges above the Scheduled Fee (which means they don't bulk bill).